Monday, October 5, 2009

No More Excuses

Like everyone, I'm busy. On any given day I can be found knee-deep in paint and plaster (literally, unfortunately and embarrassingly), tied up with my kids (figuratively--thankfully) or chasing an uninvited squirrel or bird around my house. I have dozens of reasons for not spending more time writing. But I don't let that stop me.

I treat the freelance end of things like a job and put in the hours every week--writing, research, querying, digging up new markets--through rejection, discouragement and frustration. No excuses.

I'm more flexible with my fiction writing, but I still make time to write every day. When my hands are busy but my brain is not--when I'm vacuuming or folding laundry, for example--I write in my head. That way, when I have a free moment to put pen to paper, I always have something to say.

I figure I have two choices: I can make time to write, or I can make excuses not to. So I make time to write.  I don't go out often, I don't watch much (if any) TV, I don't surf You Tube, I don't pursue a bunch of hobbies. I've even cut back on my volunteer commitments. Instead, I write.

So that's my big secret, how I manage to fit my writing life into my busy home life. 

Don't make excuses. Make time to write. It's much more rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment