Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Links Tent: Editing Helpers

Here are some resources that will help you edit your writing:

Ask.Oxford.com has a whole "Better Writing" section on their website, including spelling and grammar tips. Do you ever use "adverse" instead of "averse"? (*See note below). Or are unsure if you should write "effect" or "affect"? Check out their commonly confused words page.

Cliché Finder will help you find just the right cliché...or search using keywords to make sure what you've written isn't a cliché. If you're a word geek looking for a time waster, you can also generate ten random clichés.

Writers Free Reference has a wealth of useful links on their site, including sections on grammar and common errors.

Purdue University's Online Writing Lab (OWL) offers over 200 free resources including style guides, grammar and mechanics and even a Grammar Blog. There is also a section devoted to Workplace Writing and Creative Writing (see the navigation links on the right).


**Note: I know that in my post yesterday I wrote "PITQ: punctuation in the quotation marks. Always." Well, there's always an exception to the rules, and this is an example one. Question marks only go inside the quotation marks when they are part of the quote, so the closing mark in this case belongs on the outside. I was trying to simplify things. Most of the time, you'll find even question marks inside the quotation marks.

2 comments:

  1. Ah ha! Didn't I know it wasn't so terribly "cut & dried"? (Just had to try it out.) It still humbles me that my 13-year-old knew more about this little rule than I. Now that I've pulled out my old College English text book, dusted it off and reviewed a few long-forgotten chapters, I can once more kick butt. His, in particular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your 13-year-old probably knows more about this sort of thing than your average person, but I'm glad to hear you're back to kicking his butt. Figuratively, of course.

    ReplyDelete