Friday, November 27, 2009

Quick Tips: Find and Edit

Find and Replace is a handy little feature in Word, one that comes in especially handy when you decide to change a character's name halfway through a novel. It's also one of my favourite editing tools, because I can use it to eliminate unnecessary adverbs, remove at least a dozen or two usages of the word "just," and find out whether somebody is right and I really do start too many sentences with the word "And." And yes, I probably do.

You'll find the Find feature on the right-hand side of the Home tab in Word 2007. Click on it, type in the word you're looking for, and click on "Find Next" if you'd like to go through each instance. You probably knew that already.

Try this though: Click on Find and then type a word. Let's use "just," because, unfortunately, it's one of my bad habits. Now click on Reading Highlight and then Highlight All. Yup, there's the bad news. Word highlighted 193 instances of the word "just" in the 44,008 words in my NaNoWriMo piece. And no, I'm  not deleting any of them yet. That would be editing, which I am not doing until at least December, plus it would lower my word count by 193. Time is short. Instead I might throw in a few more "justs" just (oops) to get my count higher.

Want to see how many times you've started a sentence with "and?" Click on Find, and then type in "And"--with the upper-case A. Now click on More, and tick the Match Case box. Click on Reading Highlight and Highlight All . . . 133 sentences for me. Wow.

You can also use the feature to find out how many "ly" adverbs you've used in a piece. Type in "ly" into the Find box. Or you can use it to find any other overly used word--really, very, etc. to see if you have a bad habit to worry about. One or two instances is probably no big deal. 747 . . . Time for some serious editing.

Now you can hit the Find Next button and decide on a case-by-case basis if you are going to keep the over-used word, of if you can use a stronger word instead.

2 comments:

  1. I would say you're doing just fine! I read a few places where "just" would have fit in, well, just nicely. Such as, "...I'm not deleting any of them *just* yet." Also, "...lower my word count by *just* 193." *And* so on. Yet you managed to avoid just such an insertion. ;)

    In all seriousness though, this is prompting me to critically examine my fall-back words (including "just"), and ponder other "fall-backs" I may tend to rely upon, such as certain techniques or cliches.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I missed at least a few opportunities to use the word "just." It's a definite problem for me.

    I think we all have certain words or phrases that sneak into our first drafts far too often. As long as we're aware of them, we can ensure we just-ify (sorry, couldn't stop myself) their use in later drafts.

    ReplyDelete