Tuesday, November 10, 2009

NaNoWriMo Success

Yes, it's only Day 10 and yes, I am a day behind in my word count for NaNoWriMo, but I am ready to declare it a personal success. Already. My goals, when I started this little project, were to have fun, get in the habit of writing a lot (of fiction) every day, and make some progress on my novel.

What can I say? I am having a B-L-A-S-T writing. Who knew that turning off the inner critic would be so much fun? It's like the grown-ups have left the kids at home alone for the first time. (For that matter, who knew I was capable of turning off my inner critic? Certainly not anyone who knows me!) And who knew it would result in so many words appearing on my screen?

Ask me again in December, when I'm trying to pull this pile of--I mean, when I'm rewriting those words into something that my inner critic can live with, and I might not be so excited. But for right now, I'm enjoying the ride.

If you've signed on for NaNoWriMo, are you having as much fun with it as I am? If you haven't signed up, try turning off that critic/editor for a while, and play with fiction again.

2 comments:

  1. wow! 5 kids! you're my hero. I have 3 and a chronically ill husband. It's a struggle to write. But rewarding.
    Yes, turning off the inner critic is amazing and doing this month's Nanowrimo is a way to get into the flow. I shudder to look at what I've done so far. Is it truly a pile of ? I believe there are diamonds in the pile! http://gettingmyessayspublished.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary Beth. But really, I don't think my challenge to make time to write is any different from anyone else's. Erma Bombeck (I think!) said something on the lines of children fill up all of your time, whether you have one or you have five. I think that's true.

    Hang in there and good luck with NaNoWriMo!

    ReplyDelete